1 on 1s are the single most important tool managers have to be great leaders. You can use these meetings to help you bring out the best in your team, fix problems, get buy in, and so much more.
That’s why, as we wrap up Season 1 of Creating High Performing Teams, we’re bringing you all the best 1 on 1 lessons from our many amazing guests. Listen in to learn what the most important things are for you to remember for your 1 on 1s, and get a preview of some episodes you may want to go back and listen to.
Listen to our episode on 1 on 1 lessons by our expert guests:
1 on 1 Lessons and links from today’s episode:
A big THANK YOU to our many amazing guests. In today’s episode we heard from:
- Mark C Crowley, from Episode 2, “Why You Should Lead from the Heart (and how to start)”
- Wes Kao, from Episode 4, “Managing Up: Advice for Mangers & ICs to master their most important relationship at work”
- Mike Pretlove, from Episode 7, “Building an Unconventional Career as a Leader”
- Fabian Carmago, from Episode 8, “8 Essential Things You Must Consider When Becoming a Manager”
- Jeremy Brown, from Episode 15, “How to Rapidly Grow from Team Lead to Executive.”
- Krzysztof Rakowski, from Episode 16, “How to Become a Better Manager in Just 15 Minutes a Week”
- Valentina Thörner, from Episode 17, “The Harsh Truths of Leading Remotely (and what to do about it)”
Click the titles of any of the episodes to listen into them and see the show notes for that episode.
And a few links for you to learn more based on the Creating High Performing Teams Experts’ 1 on 1 lessons:
- Mark C Crowley’s book “Lead from the Heart” can be found here as well as his interview on our blog here.
- Learn why open door policies fail here.
- Talking about the personal life of your team can be scary. It’s beneficial, but you’re not their therapist. Learn how to handle when the meetings get too personal here.
- Wes Kao has a fantastic tweetstorm on managing up you can check out here.
- Mike Pretlove reminds us that building rapport and empathy for your team is hugely important. Learn over 80 ways you can connect with anyone.
- Fabian Carmago mentions our post on the evolution of your 1 on 1s over time, which you can read here.
- Being a good coach is a key part of being a great manager and one of many 1 on 1 lessons for you to learn.
- Krzysztof Rakowski told us about how managers must always be learning and growing. A growth mindset is key for every manager.
- Valentina Thörner told us 1 on 1s are a, “one hill I will die on” because they’re so important in remote environments.
- Ask these questions to help support your remote team members.
- Here’s Dr. Katerina Bohle Carbonell’s talk on analyzing communication patterns here.
- Jeremy Brown gave us important 1 on 1 lessons and reminded us about the importance of using your 1 on 1s to coach and praise your team.
- Praise your team regularly. Learn 21 ways to bring more praise and positivity to your team here.
A giant THANK YOU to Jeremy, Valentina, Mark, Fabian, Wes, Mike, Krzysztof and our many other guests for sharing their masterful 1 on 1 lessons, advice, insights, and hard earned perspectives.
As you can see, even though we covered dozens of different topics in this first season, 1 on 1s keep coming up. They really are the centerpiece of great management.
Thank you for listening to this season! We’ve appreciated every bit of feedback and praise we’ve heard from you all on the season.
As a closing ask, two things of you:
- If there’s a burning management problem you have that you hope we’ll do a future episode on how to handle, please email us at [email protected] or reply to one of our podcast emails to let us know.
- Please share the podcast with a fellow manager you think would benefit. The more people we help, the more we’re encouraged to continue the show for many future seasons.