What are the most important skills to master when becoming a manager? What should you consider even before you take on the role to make sure it’s a good fit for you?
On today’s episode of Creating High Performing Teams we talk with long time leader Fabian Camargo about what it takes to be a manager and how to know if the role is a good fit for you or a friend considering the move to management.
Listen to our episode on what to consider when becoming a manager:
- Books we talked about today:
Key actions for you to take today:
- What are the 3 best things someone can do if they’re thinking about becoming a manager to learn if it’s something they should pursue?
- The Kindle Test: Start reading management books and blogs and see if that entices you to want to learn more. Does it feel like work (bad sign), or do you enjoy it (good)?
- Learn what management at your company is like
- Get coffee (real or virtual) with managers and ask them what it’s like. Ask: What are the values the company has for managers? What is the day to day like?
- Ask HR and your manager if they have career path documents you can check out to see what responsibilities and expectations there are for managers
- Test out some of the key responsibilities of managers
- Mentor an intern
- Lead the onboarding of a new hire
- Get involved in interviewing
- For those already a manager, what are the things they should focus on to be successful as a new, first time manager?
- Look at your 1 on 1s try to evaluate how they are and try to improve them
- Coach a little bit more
How to follow and find Fabian
- You can follow Fabian on Twitter here, and his consulting practice and blog can be found at managingdev.com